History of the School
Chesterton was a parish in the Wolstanton Rural District from 1894 to 1904, then part of the Wolstanton United Urban District until 1932, when it was added to the Borough of Newcastle-under-Lyme. The school itself, opened in 1901 and is a composite of early and mid 20th century buildings and architectural styles. The original structure bears a plague stating 1903 Wolstanton School Board. It would appear that the school was originally divided up into three distinct sections; junior, infants and nursery schools. May Bank Infants school was constructed by the same architect.
Churchfields Primary was originally called Broadmeadow Council School and it was infant and junior school until 1912, when it became Broadmeadow Senior School. In 1931, the infants and juniors transferred to Albert Street Schools. Albert Street Junior boys transferred to these buildings in Dec 1958 and occupied the ground floor. Between 1931 to 1958, it was a mixed secondary school when girls transferred to Chesterton CS school.